Desarrollos carried out this large, top-tier coastal tourist complex, that stands out for its cutting edge and highest quality, which has given it numerous international recognitions. In a first phase, of 250 hectares, four high luxury hotel complexes were built, all of them operative today: Rosewood, Banyan, Fairmont and Andaz (luxury brand of the Hyatt chain). Along with them, one of the greatest attractions of Mayakoba is its golf course, El Camaleón, which has already made history by becoming the host of the first PGA Tour event held outside the U.S. and Canada.
Mayakoba is, in all senses, an excellent project: it has a sports hotel complex located in a particularly privileged area, something that from the first moment has been showcased by Desarrollos. In fact, the care of the environment and the organic integration of this project with its setting converted it into a unique site.
The design is signed by architectonic firms of recognised prestige that have borne in mind an integrated environmental control system in its definition, making an exclusive and rational use of the native vegetation and restricting the transit of vehicles of both electrical ground and maritime transportation. Furthermore, the Mayakoba complex possesses an electric substation and its own water treatment plant to minimise to the utmost the impact on this idyllic setting of Caribbean beaches, dunes and mangroves.
Awards and recognitions
- Mayakoba. Recognised by the World Tourism Organisation (WTO) and Rainforest Alliance with its highest awards: the Ulysses and Sustainable Standard-Setter awards, respectively.
- Mayakoba. Classification of 5 Diamonds Award from the American Automobile Association (AAA) of the United States, granted to the Fairmont Hotel and to the Rosewood Hotel, both integrated in the Mayakoba tourism development.
- Mayakoba. The magazine Travel + Leisure included the Fairmont Hotel on the list of the World’s 500 Best Hotels and has designated the Rosewood Hotel as Mexico’s Best Luxury Hotel of Mexico and Central America and one of the 20 best in the world.
- Mayakoba. The Banyan Tree Hotel was classified by Tripadvisor as the ninth best luxury hotel worldwide, the second best in the Spa category and the third in that of Romance.
- El Camaleón Golf Course. It has the Audubon International certification, with six recognitions: cooperative sanctuary, sustainable management of the habitat for migratory species, efficient and sustainable consumption of water, environmental education, and reduction and efficient use of chemical substances.
- El Camaleón Golf Course. It has received the Audubon International Certification, as a wildlife sanctuary, in recognition of its environmental excellence.
- Mayakoba. Ecotourism Award, granted by the Miguel Alemán A.C. Foundation.