OHL Concesiones commissions a new toll road in Mexico

October 19, 2016

Reading time: 2 minutes

OHL México, a subsidiary of OHL Concesiones, has commissioned in Mexico the new Northern Puebla Bypass toll road, which was officially inaugurated yesterday by Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto, constitutional president of the United Mexican States, and Mr. Rafael Moreno Valle, governor of the State of Puebla. 

The commissioning of this important infrastructure is part of the presidential commitments announced by the government from the time it took over and, once again, evidences OHL México’s compliance in due time and form with the country’s infrastructure development plan. 

OHL México obtained a concession in 2014 to construct, exploit, operate, preserve and maintain the Northern Puebla Bypass, for a 30-year term. The works have been completed in less than two years, with a total estimated investment of 10,500 million pesos (approximately 505 million euros), under a semi-public investment vehicle between the concessionaire company (51% held by OHL México, the remaining 49% owned by the also Mexican company Pinfra), the Federal Government and the Government of Puebla. 

The road is 15.30 kilometers long, with four lanes over the México-Puebla-Veracruz federal toll road; it has six intermediate branch roads (three to enter and three to exit), with a combined toll system, consisting of remote toll fee collection and payment in cash. It will also be the first raised bypass allowing the access of heavy load vehicles, due to the technical characteristics with which it was built. 

This new infrastructure works project has been conceived to solve the road traffic difficulties affecting the metropolitan area of the State’s capital city and will also benefit long-distance traffic towards the Port of Veracruz, the country’s largest. It is estimated that 30,500 vehicles will travel along this viaduct each day. 

The Raised Puebla Bypass will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions into the air, by decreasing the traffic rate by 70% and considerably increasing average traveling speed. 

Construction of the new toll road has generated 1,800 direct and 5,700 indirect jobs.

Volver a sala de Prensa